Being a single parent is one of the few privileges few people have. It’s noble, it’s respectable, and it has its benefits. In calculation, there are around 20 million solo parents in our country; can you imagine the number of solo parents in the world. As a matter of fact, there are Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) who were forced to settle a job abroad to support their children and their families. There are single moms and dads out there to put meat on the table. Because of the fact that it’s difficult to support a family alone, the government devised some sort of aid for solo parents in the Philippines. Some cities, municipalities, and establishments acknowledge this. The good news is that the 20% solo parent discount is now being acknowledged by the Quezon City government. Let’s find out more about this.
Quezon City is part of the largest and the most advancing cities in the Philippines. Now that they’ve approved the solo parent benefit, a lot of solo parents will be thrilled about this. Not only would this provide financial aid, it’s also going to be beneficial because they’ll also be able to look forward to improving their own personal lives with the discounts these have!
Recently, the Quezon City council OK-ed the ordinance and the effectivity of the 20% solo parent discount to all solo parents at all food establishments in the city. However, there are certain limitations and qualifications of this new ordinance.
What are the qualifications in availing the 20% solo parent discount in Quezon City?
According to Republic Act (RA) 8972, a woman who gives birth as a result of rape and other crimes against chastity, even without a final conviction of the offender, provided that the mother keeps and raises the child. A parent left alone or solo with the responsibility of parenthood due to the following circumstances:
- Due to the spouse’s death;
- If the spouse is either detained or serving sentence for a criminal conviction (at least one (1) year);
- If the spouse is physically and/or mentally incapable which is either proven or certified by a public medical practitioner;
- Legal separation or de facto separation from the spouse for at least a year; as long as the spouse is entrusted with the custody of the children;
- If the church or court declares the nullity of marriage for as long as he/she is entrusted with the custody of the children;
- An unmarried father or mother who preferred to keep his/her children instead of delegating another person or giving them up to a welfare institution;
- Another person who is eligible to provide parental care and support to a child or children; and
- Any family member who takes the responsibility and is considered the head of the family as a result of abandonment, death, disappearance, or prolonged absence of either the parents or the solo parent.
In addition to the eligibility of having the 20% solo parent discount in Quezon City, the criteria for support is also existent:
A solo parent whose compensation falls below the poverty threshold and who passes the DSWD assessment is eligible for assistance. This threshold is set by the National Economic
and Development Authority (NEDA). In addition to that, a solo parent can inquire from the following agencies to grab a hold of their services:
- Educational Services (CHED, TESDA)
- Housing (NHA)
- Health Services (DoH)
- Personal/Parental Leave (DOLE, CSC, Private Employer)
Are there requirements to avail this 20% solo parent discount?
Yes, in order for you to be acknowledged as a solo parent, you need to prepare your solo parent ID. Once you have your solo parent ID ready, just present it to the establishment where you’re looking to get or avail the 20% discount.
According to the council, the discount shall be given every first (1st) and last Sundays of each month. The cap or the maximum restaurant bill would be P2, 000. Moreover, the discount will be tax-deductible for these establishments. Overall, the ordinance’s goal is to help soften or ease the expenses of solo and single parents whenever they dine at restaurants.
This is terrific news especially for solo parents who need dire financial assistance. This simple act alone can drastically help them lower their expenses. It’s aim is to assist single parents when dining in restaurants especially for any of their children’s special occasions.