Ever imagined how wonderful our planet is? It sustained and it continues to sustain life, it has nearly billions of creatures and organisms lurking and dwelling on top of it, and it has been standing here longer than you can imagine. Our Earth is a magical and wondrous place and I am pretty certain that a lot of you fail to be aware of these facts that I am about to give you.
1. If you didn’t notice, our planet is the only planet in our solar system not named after a mythological God or Goddess.
2. Thinking about how big our planet is? Well, about 1.3 million Earths could fit inside our very own sun and our sun is considered to be a dwarf star (a proportionally small star compared to normal ones).
4. Oxygen – the air we breathe – the thing that keeps us alive. You would think that gas is the most abundant gas in our solar system, right? Well no, oxygen is only 21% while Nitrogen is about 78% in our atmosphere and some other gases are the ones left.
5. How old is the Earth? This question has been thrown from the time intelligence became a trend and researchers and scientists came up with an accurate answer and that is 4.54 billion years old.
6. Life outside Earth is a very sensitive and interesting topic but just inside our galaxy alone, there are at least 2 billion Earth-like planets.
7. The Earth’s highest point is Mount Everest which sits at a high 8.8km.
8. While the Earth’s lowest or deepest KNOWN point is equal to 24.5 Empire State Buildings from top to bottom.
9. Right now, there are approximately 22, 000 manmade objects revolving around the Earth. This are the devices, machines, etc. that have been broken down and is now part of the things orbiting our planet.
10. The very first life on Earth was in our oceans. Even before animals, dinosaurs, or insects were existent, the waters were the hosts of a livelihood that pioneered this planet.
11. Our Earth isn’t a perfect sphere because as it spins, gravity points toward the center of the Earth and a centrifugal force pushes it outward.
12. Since our Earth isn’t a perfect sphere, there are parts of the globe where the gravitation force isn’t as forceful as other parts of it. One example is in Hudson Bay of Canada where it is reported that the gravity is 25% to 45% lower than the usual.
13. 24 hours a day? Not really. The time the Earth rotates on its axis is exactly 23 Hours, 56 Minutes, and 4 Seconds.
14. Our Earth is rich; the core of our planet contains gold which can coat the whole planet to a depth of a staggering 1.5 feet.
15. 40% of the Earth’s total lands are just found in 6 countries. Have a guess on what those are.
16. Ever wonder what would happen if our planet didn’t have its moon? To break the tension, having no moon makes one entire day just 6 hours long.
17. Between 10 to 20 volcanoes are erupting somewhere n Earth EVERY SINGLE DAY which means that there are more active volcanoes than you think.
18. The Earth used to be the color Purple which is caused by ancient different microbes that used different molecules to harness the sun’s rays.
19. Earthquakes can change our planet’s rotation speed. Japan’s 2011 earthquake increased the rotation speed of the planet, shortening the day by 1.8 milliseconds.