There is this “An Act Enhancing the Philippines Basic Education System by Strengthening Its Curriculum and Increasing the Number of Years for Basic Education, Appropriating Funds Therefore and for Other Purposes,” which is also known as Republic Act No. 10533 or the Enhance Basic Education Act of 2013. This was passed by the Congress on January 30, 2013 and was approved by Former President Benigno Aquino III.
The K to 12 programs covers pre- schooling and 12 years of basic education. This comprises six years of Primary or Elementary Education, four years of Junior High and two years of Senior High.
Most people are against this law because the added two years would only mean financial burden to parents who can barely afford to send their children to school. In addition, to some the added two years will allow students to learn their lessons with mastery, thereby ensuring the global competitiveness in the end.
Acquiring this program would also mean having fewer units in college particularly the general subjects because these were already taken in K11 to 12.
The Department of Education (DepEd) formulates programs to enact the provision law. Moreover, under DepED Order no. 11 the Senior High School Voucher Program (SHS VP) was introduced, therefore providing financial assistance to senior high students. The Private Education Assistance Committee (PEAC), which was headed by the Secretary of Education, Leonor Briones, provides financial assistance to both public and private sector.
Every student who happens to finish Grade 10 by March 2017 is eligible to apply for SHS VP. However, Grade 10 students from public schools are automatically a Voucher Program Beneficiary. In addition to that, Grade 10 students from private schools are also a voucher program beneficiary if those schools are part of the Education Service Contracting (ESC) program of DepEd. ESC program contracts private schools to provide education to “would-have-been” public school students. Students who are not eligible as recipient of the voucher however, need to undergo an application and screening procedure.
Here are the steps to follow in applying the Senior High Voucher Program for SY 2017-2018.
1. The student who wants to avail the voucher program must CREATE AN ACCOUNT
- Go to site ovap.deped.gov.ph
- Click “Apply Now” button
- Click the ink that will be sent through email to have the account activated.
2. Answer correctly the Application Form
- Login to ovap.deped.gov.ph using the account you created
- Fill up all the form
- After completing the form, kindly check your mail to download and print the CONFIRMATION SLIP.
3. Submit all the necessary supporting documents.
- Follow the instructions on the CONFIRMATION SLIP on how to submit the needed supporting documents.
- Send the supporting documents to [email protected]
- Keep an eye on your OVAP account to see the status of your submitted document.
- The processing of applications will only be given to those with “COMPLETE’ status.
Results will be release on the 2nd quarter of 2017 by DepEd. The Qualified Voucher certificate can be downloaded through the OVAP account by the successful applicants.